Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Artist's Statement

Artist’s Statement
By Justice Marquez

            Photography has always been a passion of mine. From holding the camera to snapping the scene, I enjoy being an amateur photographer. I love how I can capture a moment in time. It becomes a visual memory. A picture speaks a thousand words. I can capture a thousand words in a millisecond. Can you? It’s amazing how my job is actually needed in the world and I can be happy doing so. Every one enjoys preserving a memory or history. I can become a person important in photography and turn this hobby into a career.  I do the work I do because I am the work I do. I am art, therefore, I live within art. An art shall be captured.

            I’ve always admired living in a world where you are smaller than everything else. I want to live under the hat of a mushroom and see the sun through the petals of a daisy. I enjoy low angles where the world is not so much bigger, but I am so much smaller. This is why my photographs are of things on the ground. I want to be able to look up at a pebble. Living in the grass is a dangerous life to live; it’s also an interesting one. What’s better than being able to capture the life you want to live in?

            My challenge is the camera being larger than the object I am trying to capture; or also the fact that the object is shorter than the height of my feet. I conquer this challenge by lying down, climbing trees, and chasing animals to get their feet running in the grass. It’s a hard photo style to achieve, because the small challenges my camera’s life might get, I do not. I do not have to fear being stepped on, but if I’m lying down I do. You might find me stuck in a tree one day, because some birds were hatching above my head. It’s weird, but it ends up to be an amazing photograph.


            This is what I try to achieve as a photographer. My view of the world captured in a fragment of a second. Let me tell you the story of little people and their view of life.

No comments: